Adding USB?

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Sentien13
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiesta ECO
Refferer: Google

Adding USB?

Post by Sentien13 »

Hey,

I own a MK7 ECOnetic, but unfortunatly without a USB port, so I only have the 3.5mm input.

Does anyone know if its possible to add the USB functionality to the audio, im guessing it would be connection (if the current wiring loom is already in place) and possibly a firmware/software upgrade.

Would be great to have some input before I start ripping the dash apart! :D

{text-align: center;}
northeastzetecs
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Drives: Zetec s
Refferer: Search Engine

Re: Adding USB?

Post by northeastzetecs »

i think you have to buy a whole new bluetooth module ect. not to sure tho :)

javaj
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Fiesta Mk7 zetec s
Refferer: tapatalk

Post by javaj »

You definitely need to change the bluetooth module, (under the glove box) And of course reprogram the audio unit.
I ask a few ford dealers noone ever try this, although many customers asked if it is possible.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk 2

Nath
Drives: Fiesta MK7 Zetec-S TDCi

Post by Nath »

Yes it is possible - I've done the upgrade on a few Fiestas now.
Parts required: Bluetooth & USB module, audio loom (for USB cable), silver connection with black rubber cover for USB slot and the plastic fascia it sits in near the gearstick.
Then someone like me Ford IDS to activate it :)

Sentien13
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by Sentien13 »

Nath wrote:Yes it is possible - I've done the upgrade on a few Fiestas now.
Parts required: Bluetooth & USB module, audio loom (for USB cable), silver connection with black rubber cover for USB slot and the plastic fascia it sits in near the gearstick.

Im guessing the loom would have to be bought direct from Ford, possibly the Bluetooth/USB module also? Do you have any part numbers I could find out some more information for?
The location of the USB port is not at all important as I will probably engineer something inside the secret compartment.

And now for the newbie question: what is a Ford IDS?

Nath

Post by Nath »

Sentien13 wrote:
Nath wrote:Yes it is possible - I've done the upgrade on a few Fiestas now.

Im guessing the loom would have to be bought direct from Ford, possibly the Bluetooth/USB module also? Do you have any part numbers I could find out some more information for?
The location of the USB port is not at all important as I will probably engineer something inside the secret compartment.

And now for the newbie question: what is a Ford IDS?
http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/to ... _p__153715 ;)

Ford IDS is the software dealers use to hook up their laptop to the car. Can run diagnostics and reprogram almost anything on it.

Sentien13
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by Sentien13 »

Nath you just made my head explode.... :dance:

Oki, so first of all I need to determine if I have the original wiring loom in place (I assume I already have the standard Bluetooth module) and then I need to find a new module.
I found your video of the installation and it looks very simple, I believe I can even get away with just using a standard USB A receptacle to USB mini in place of buying the extra loom as I will be fitting this into the secret compartment.

However so far i've found many different part numbers, some relating to newer versions of the same module others relating to models in the same series for the Mondeo for example.
Is the 8M5T-19C112 specific to the year/model of Fiesta or is that just a standard component?
Hopefully I can find a scrappy nearby as I am having no luck on Ebay.

The software is going to be the tricky part, I'm going to attempt to convince the garage I originally bought the car from for the upgrade. The only two issues are that the only contact I have there is the shifty sales guy who seems like hes trying to crawl into my wallet and the main factor that there is a language barrier (British Expat)

For the Ford IDS do I need a specific firmware/software version, or is it simply enabled via a code? I need to be able to explain this to the actual workers and not the sales guy who will defiantly not understand what I am talking about.

Nath

Post by Nath »

To confirm: are you going from Bluetooth > Bluetooth & USB do you only have basic stereo at the moment?
Upgrading to USB is relatively easy (compared to the next option) as you swap out the module for a Bluetooth & USB one, install the extra cable for the USB input and get someone to update the car.

If you don't have Bluetooth it's a lot more complicated. You need; 9 button stereo, matrix display (stereo screen), wiring loom, Bluetooth indicator stalk, microphone & interior light, Bluetooth & USB module, USB input cable. Once all that's in place you then need someone to update the car.

From the experience I've had and looking at part numbers from Ford the modules are used across the range (Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo/Kuga & more) - although for the Bluetooth & USB module there's at least 2 different types out there (2008-2009, 2010-2012) and they have different connections for the USB input so different cable is needed (one cable's £50, the other's £120!)

Sentien13
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by Sentien13 »

Yes i'm upgrading from Bluetooth > Bluetooth+USB.
I have the 9 Button stereo with bluetooth and the 3.5mm input and voice control, I have the buttons built into the steering wheel for the audio control. Would I still be needing the stalk?

I've just had the current module out, but unfortunately I don't have the correct sized security bit to remove it from the plastic so I cant see the part number.I'll remove it later today and take a picture.

Oddly enough it seems that this module already has a similar port when compared to the USB module, the actual connection itself it only 2mm smaller than USB and the pinning is the same, i'll know more when I remove it from the plastic and see the part number.

I am crossing my fingers that its already the correct module and I'll just need to buy the USB loom!

**Update***

Bah its the 8M5T-19G488-AM which apparently is only the Bluetooth+Voice unit, apparently the port I see is for maintenance only..... so I still need to find the correct module.

Nath

Post by Nath »

You shouldn't need the stalk as I assume you already have it for voice control?

The module you need is 8M5T-19C112-AN and looks like this: