Improving fuel econemy

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
scott101
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Fiesta 1.4 TDCi (62)
Refferer: google

Improving fuel econemy

Post by scott101 »

Hi All,

I am after some advice / opinions.... I have recently taken ownership of a 1.4 TDCi (62 plate) Fiesta as I needed something a little more economical then my Y reg 1.4 petrol Ibiza. I do around 100 each day during the week as a round trip to work :( and was wondering how I can eek some more MPG out of it. I'm currently getting an average of 62 MPG (mostly motorway / dual carriage way)

I drive the car between 60 and 65 so my driving style is okay and tire pressures are good. I have been contemplating getting a "economical" remap done (rather than for maximum power gain which I am not that interested in). Has anyone had one of these done ? Did it make much difference ?

Also would fitting a performance panel filter decrease or increase MPG ? Manufactures claim they do increase MPG slightly, but is this just marketing ?

Scott

{text-align: center;}
CarlW
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Titanium TDCi
Refferer: Google

Re: Improving fuel econemy

Post by CarlW »

Hi, I have a 12 plate 1.6TDCi Econetic which I bought ~3 months old with ~900m on the clock. I've covered 47000m in a mix of town and motorway and have averaged 71.2mpg over those 47000m, this is based on diesel put in the tank and not on the computer - I keep a spreadsheet in my phone.

I typically stay around 60 on motorways and I think the key to economy is:
- keep speed down
- anticipate traffic/traffic lights to avoid use of brakes
- don't race away from the lights - keep revs down - typically below 2000
- tyres - the econetic has Michelin energy saver tyres - 175/65 14 - the car feels like it will roll for ever and they last a long time - originals still have 2-3mm after 48000m
- keep everything well maintained - I developed a squeak in the rear brakes a few weeks back and after 'maintenance' and a little copper grease, I feel sure the economy went up a couple of mpg.

I also add a little two stroke oil to the diesel (at about 300:1 - so about 120ml is a full tank of diesel but I'm not convinced that it does anything for economy - Don't take this as a recommendation - read up of the internet and make your own mind up

galaxy96
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiesta MK 7 Titanium 1.6
Refferer: Ebay

Post by galaxy96 »

Hi Scott,
I have a titanium 1.6TDCI 2011,I had a TDI tuning (Google it) unit installed after having the car a year, I was well impressed, it's a smoother ride especially on acceleration, fuel consumption improved by 30% and the torque by 40%, I'm doing approx 1100 miles month and my diesel bill each time I fill up is between £22-28 on a half tank and £39 on a full one, obviously it depends on your driving habits, I think its well worth checking out - TDI Tuning in Chelmsford, but I got mine fixed by an approved TDI person in Shoreham West Sussex, it took about an hour, cost £280 for the unit and £45 to install - seems steep but well worth it, good luck.

Regards,

Galaxy96

dave3974
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: fiesta 1.6 zetec s diesel
Refferer: Search Engine

Post by dave3974 »

2 stroke to diesel are ypou mad