Econetic cooling fan concerns

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Barry-Fiesta
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Fiesta Titanium 1.5Tdci A
Refferer: Search Engine

Re: Econetic cooling fan concerns

Post by Barry-Fiesta »

My dpf regenerated itself today. It's the first time I've actually been aware of it's operation in the 2 months I've owned it. I currently mostly only do short journeys, but I bought this car as I am moving home soon and will be covering 120 miles per day, mostly motorway.
I only became aware of the regeneration process today after I had turned off the engine and got out of the car. The fan continued to operate quite loudly, accompanied by the usual sooty smell. Does any one know... if the process has started but not completed before the engine was switched off, does it continue to complete the process (even with the engine off)?

Barry
Daily driver: 2013 Ford Fiesta 1.5 Tdci (manual) Titanium - in Moondust Silver
Weekend driver: 2009 Mercedes SLK 280 3.0ltr V6 (auto) - in Palladium silver (basically it's mid-shade grey!)

{text-align: center;}
Barry-Fiesta
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster

Post by Barry-Fiesta »

Barry-Fiesta wrote:My dpf regenerated itself today. It's the first time I've actually been aware of it's operation in the 2 months I've owned it. I currently mostly only do short journeys, but I bought this car as I am moving home soon and will be covering 120 miles per day, mostly motorway.
I only became aware of the regeneration process today after I had turned off the engine and got out of the car. The fan continued to operate quite loudly, accompanied by the usual sooty smell. Does any one know... if the process has started but not completed before the engine was switched off, does it continue to complete the process (even with the engine off)?

Barry
Hi folks. I am just 'bumping up' this post as it did not attract any replies to above. I've noticed a few times now that my fan has been cutting in, and stays on after I have switched the engine off. I was sort of assuming that it was my DPF regenerating itself, as I can also smell a sooty smell (nothing to do with 'Sooty & Sweep' before any wise-guy chips in!!). I wondered what other people's experience has been....especially those with Diesel engines and DPF's?

Appreciate your comments/thoughts on this.

Barry
Weekend driver: 2009 Mercedes SLK 280 3.0ltr V6 (auto) - in Palladium silver (basically it's mid-shade grey!)

Kyutu
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Titanium ECOnetic

Post by Kyutu »

Hello, I have an Econetic model and have previously been worried about said fan kicking in after switching off the engine.

At first I was a little panicky because I would get back home from making regular short trips in the mornings and when I got home and parked up it seemed to take a good 10 minutes before the fan turned off, and in the meantime it was making one hell of a racket. But in the months since I first started having this "issue" I have learnt to ensure I make the effort every week or so to make trips along the motorway early in the mornings to give the car a chance to regenerate. I do this simply by leaving it in 4th whilst doing 60-70mph for not much over 10-15 mins and it seems to have stopped it regenerating whilst sat in my garden now :p

Hope this helps.

Barry-Fiesta
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster

Post by Barry-Fiesta »

Kyutu wrote:Hello, I have an Econetic model and have previously been worried about said fan kicking in after switching off the engine.

At first I was a little panicky because I would get back home from making regular short trips in the mornings and when I got home and parked up it seemed to take a good 10 minutes before the fan turned off, and in the meantime it was making one hell of a racket. But in the months since I first started having this "issue" I have learnt to ensure I make the effort every week or so to make trips along the motorway early in the mornings to give the car a chance to regenerate. I do this simply by leaving it in 4th whilst doing 60-70mph for not much over 10-15 mins and it seems to have stopped it regenerating whilst sat in my garden now :p

Hope this helps.
Thanks for reply. Yep I guess ultimately I need to take it for more motorway high rev runs.
Thanks again.
Barry

Nicholette
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Econetic
Refferer: google

Post by Nicholette »

:arrow: :arrow: What a surprise, I brought mine new and it has always done this very strange odd fan blowing thing. It has been back to the dealer and they say ... in that way that mechanics do when talking to someone they think has not a clue about mechanical thing... "well, we tried it and it hasn't done it, are you sure it just runs for no apparent reason?" Off course I am, it is like a fan possessed, it just starts at any time it thinks it will. It can be a cold day a warm day the ambient temperature seems not to matter. The journey length seems not to matter. You can do the same trip one day fine and the next even after parking in the garage the fan runs on and on. There is usually a smell of hot plastic too which I pointed out to the service department too. No one could give me a reason why it does this, it is totally random. I asked if the fan was dedicated to cooling the liquid coolant or if it also cooled other components like the exhaust of the computer… this just made them chuckle and say no noooo.
PS...... I don't suppose anyone could take a pic of their dash fuse panel as I have a airbag light on and, you guessed it, I started pulling fuses happy that I could put them all back in their correct places because all owners manuals have a layout diagram to tie up with the schedule of fuse numbers amps and use, don't they? Well my econetic book does not have a picture of the fuse panel showing the numbers. This is so ubelievable that I turned over every single page of my manual just to make sure I had not missed it. Well no picture of the fuse board with corresponding numbers is in the book.