BOOT JAM NOW SOLVED

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
merlyman1966

BOOT JAM NOW SOLVED

Post by merlyman1966 »

:idea: Hi , I have a 2009 style + tdci.
The tailgate lock has developed a problem and won't open, just get click, click, click on fob or tailgate handle....
I have had a look on on the internet and have read that it's possibly a faulty micro switch?..(not been able to find a great deal of info really)....
Have had issue once or twice when nothing at all would would happen when handle was pulled, not even clicking.
Tried disconnecting the battery for ten min's as mentioned by one person, still same...
As yet I can't get in the boot, I would be greatful of any ideas/photo's or site link of best plan of attack to get in boot and remove switch or other possible problem.
Assume i'm going in from back seats?....
Thanks.....
Last edited by merlyman1966 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{text-align: center;}
patterson
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Drives: Fiesta ZS
Refferer: Search Engine

Fiesta boot Jammed

Post by patterson »

Is it in warranty?
Fiesta Mk7 Zetec S 2011
Check Out My Build Thread! http://www.fiestamk7.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=701

merlyman1966

Re: Fiesta boot Jammed

Post by merlyman1966 »

Don't think so but i'm gonna check, had it about 6 months, believe it had 3 months warranty from a local garage.

patterson
Drives: Fiesta ZS
Refferer: Search Engine

Fiesta boot Jammed

Post by patterson »

New from garage is 3 years so if it was bought dec 09 then it will just be in warranty

Still probably going to be something ford has to fix

www.mk7zs.com

Dedicated to Ford Fiesta

MK7 & MK7 ZS Owners
Fiesta Mk7 Zetec S 2011
Check Out My Build Thread! http://www.fiestamk7.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=701

merlyman1966

Post by merlyman1966 »

O.k thanks, had it's first m.o.t when I bought it, so guess manufacturer warranty has expired, thanks Anyway.....Andrew...

StewartM
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Mk7 1.25 Zetec

Post by StewartM »

I'd think about getting the Main Dealer to look at it. Even though the car is out of Warranty, there have been a lot of problems with that micro-switch, though admittedly a great number of them were the switch releasing the boot while driving or when unlocking. Mine did that, then it changed to I couldn't open the boot if I had unlocked the central locking, but if I used the boot release on the key it was OK.

merlyman1966

Post by merlyman1966 »

Hi, thanks, no, all buttons just click,click click, What I,m looking for is photos of what mech looks like so I know what i'm dealing with, as yet I don't even know what it looks like or position e.t.c....

merlyman1966

BOOT JAM SOLVED

Post by merlyman1966 »

I have now solved my lock problem, it is the mechanism itself not micro switch, a nylon cam/cog inside has a piece sheared off hence, click,click, click....
Anyone interested in self maintenance, who, like me, doesn't want to pay silly garage prices may like to know, my electrical block connecter to the boot lock was also full of water and starting to corrode seems to be water running down cable.
Just gotta source lock now, or part of (doubt that's available)....Everything closed today tho
Well, Happy new year..

StewartM
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Mk7 1.25 Zetec

Re: BOOT JAM NOW SOLVED

Post by StewartM »

Glad you got it sorted. Interesting comment about the water. Need to check that.

merlyman1966

Re: BOOT JAM NOW SOLVED

Post by merlyman1966 »

Been to main dealers, boot mech is supplied complete, £42.00, Switch/handle is £13.00 the lady behind counter told me "we replace/sell a lot of these", I suspect a lot of the fault with the switch lies with the water getting into the block connector and could result in switch being replaced needlessly (or you being told it's been replaced), this is not the issue with mine.
So, to summerise I suggest if you get boot opening on own or you have no handle/key fob response, first check your fuses/fob and then the tailgate lock electrical block connector for water (mine was soaking and starting to corrode green on terminals), strangely everywhere else around area was dry, seems like water runs down cable possibly from rear wiper area?.
Or if in my case you have a click, click, click sound from handle or fob it is likely that you have a piece sheared off in the lock mechanism....
My next move now is to take a Dremmel to the mechanism and try to repair it (thats how mean I am).
Fortunately I don't use my boot very often so i'm not in a hurry, another job for Sunday..........
Anybody need to know how I went about it, drop us a line....