Shaking front Wheels

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
wisefi
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Fiesta 1.25 82 Zetec 3dr
Refferer: google

Shaking front Wheels

Post by wisefi »

This is a repeating problem.

About 6-7 months ago I had the same problem as whenever I pressed the brakes (even gently), the front wheels start wobbling/shaking. I could feel it even on the steering wheel. So I got the brake discs and pads changed (Brembo). The problem went away and everything was fine.

Then now, it started again! After having spent 300€ on service, seeing this start again is really annoying. Any ideas what could cause this ?

{text-align: center;}
Bits-left-over
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: JA8 5dr 1.6TDCi Titanium
Refferer: Search Engine

Re: Shaking front Wheels

Post by Bits-left-over »

Are you still getting the shaking? This is probably well documented but I haven't had this on my mk7 so far, although, I have had it on my A4 & it turned out to be the guide pins & pistons. Over time, they can get clogged with dirt that gets under the seals & eventually, they only move under hydraulic pressure. The result was that there was no lateral shift on the caliper so the pad on the piston was binding & only one pad was doing any braking. This resulted in excess heat (I think), which warped the brake disc & I ended up with shaking when pressing the pedal (more pedal - more shake). I guess the disc mostly stayed warped because even when cooled down, it would still do it a bit & got worse as I put the pedal down.

All my garage did was change the brakes & pads - not good enough. Audi wanted £1300 to replace all brake components from the ABS block to the wheels & they got a swift answer to that (calipers don't normally need changed - I just wanted the pistons & pins freed up). So, I decided to go all out & dismantle all brake components down to the nuts & bolts, including redoing the brake pipes up to the ABS block (PITA). The pistons on the rear were really jammed in with dirt so didn't retract easily. That added to the excessive wear on one side of the disc. Once I cleaned everything out, I put new seals on & refitted it all - no more shaking & I got a lot more out of my discs & pads. Hope this is of some use.
I’m smart enough to know I'm thick.