Power fold mirrors close randomly

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Bits-left-over
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: JA8 5dr 1.6TDCi Titanium
Refferer: Search Engine

Power fold mirrors close randomly

Post by Bits-left-over »

Hello. My power fold mirrors fold in at random times but notice it happens more often in the morning. They never open back out on their own. I always have to open them back out using the mirror control pad. All mirror functions work as they're supposed to every time. Anyone else seen this or have any ideas what's going on?
I’m smart enough to know I'm thick.

{text-align: center;}
Bits-left-over
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Re: Power fold mirrors close randomly

Post by Bits-left-over »

The problem got worse over the Easter weekend to the point that the mirrors were opening & folding several times in a minute & sometimes wouldn't finish their travel before going the other way. Worried that the motors would burn out, I got the door card off & disconnected the mirror connector harness & the mirror control switch. No evidence of moisture or corroded contacts but I used contact cleaner on everything & reconnected it all back up. Since then, the mirrors have only moved by the control switch or by locking/unlocking. Looks like it's been an intermittent air gap within one of the connectors.

Bits-left-over
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Re: Power fold mirrors close randomly

Post by Bits-left-over »

It wasn't caused by an intermittent air gap - quite the opposite. So, the mirrors started doing their own thing again about 2 days after my last post. Was thinking it could be something weird going on with a central locking but then the doors weren't opening/locking. Turns out it was the mirror control switch & I hadn't put contact cleaner on that. I disconnected it from the wiring loom to get the door card off &, while I was having a think about the whole issue, I thought I'd have a look inside it. The circuit board & components /contacts were covered in moisture so I'm not sure how the mirror U/D/L/R functions were working ok & on both mirrors. Anyway, I dried it out, cleaned it all up & it hasn't happened for about 2 weeks.

Image Image Image