Econetic Fuel Consumption

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
stephenrhys1955
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Mk7 econetic

Econetic Fuel Consumption

Post by stephenrhys1955 »

OK I know it's a bit of a grey area but just what sort of consumption figures should I be getting from this car of mine?
I hope someone from Ford Motor Company sees this because to say the least I am one unhappy customer.
The reason we purchased this Fiesta 1.6 Econetic was the amazing fuel consumption figures quoted by FMC. 76 to 88 MPG.
When brand new the engine was very tight, downshifts to climb hills were necessary all the time. It then turned in about 62mpg average when I asked about this at the dealer the story was that it needed some time to free up. The engine has now done over 10,000 miles and the average consumption has dropped considerably to 54mpg. I've heard of big 2.0 ltr cars doing 50mpg! I had an eco check done thinking it would pinpoint a problem with the car but all it did was criticise my driving. Very nice PDF document came through E-mail with all what was wrong with my driving. (which I should add was not much) It concluded by telling me I could save 8% on my fuel by following it's advice, OK well do the maths 8% of 54 is 4.32 add this on and that comes to 58.32 no where near the advertised figures which sold us the car. Right in the middle of this PDF was an advert for the Fiesta and Focus Econetic claiming that they both "turn in 75mpg" which really put the cherry on the top. The dealer has had it in three times now and has made no improvement with all their computer nonsense.
Well Ford Motor Company what's going on with this car of mine?

{text-align: center;}
8woodj
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Econetic

Re: Econetic Fuel Consumption

Post by 8woodj »

Don't start me on this! I posted this on the Ford Owners Club website a few weeks back

"Hi Maria,

I too have a Econetic which is now 10 months old and done nearly 20000 miles but like you the fuel consumption is nowhere near what is claimed for the vehicle. When I approached the dealer and complained they listened but weren't interested and suggested it too was my driving style. That annoyed me as on my previous 2 cars I regular and with ease achieved or slightly exceeded the claimed mpg so I know how to eek the most out of a car but not this one - impossible!. My best mpg is 64 but mostly 58-61 and when the claimed 76 mpg was the main reason for buying the car to say i am pissed off is an understatement especially with the attitude and service of the main dealer added in. I reackon this car has cost me around £330-410 in extra fuel this year (avg. price £1.10 per litre)."

mbul74
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)

Post by mbul74 »

I'm getting on average about 65mpg, which I'm quite happy with. My last big journey (Edinburgh to Weymouth - approx 485 miles on mostly open motorway) averaged 64mpg. I have on the odd occasion, mostly in fine weather, got an average over 300-400 miles of about 72-73mpg. Over the dire winter months (where the temp didn't get above -2 for the whole of December where I live) I was getting about 55mpg, mainly due to driving on snow and slush when not on main roads.

BTW, my dodgy fan relay caused a flat battery today, grrrrrrr!

Overall quite happy with my econetic though.

mbul74
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)

Post by mbul74 »

Oh, and I have noticed that where you fill up makes a difference. I get approximately 5mpg less when I fill up at my local Sainsbury's rather than the local Esso garage (which is 1p/L more expensive).

getaylor2012
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Fiesta Titanium Mk7

Post by getaylor2012 »

You have to remember that things like having the A/C on, or the windows open will affect the MPG. Have you tried driving with the A/C off for a considerable amount of time? Little things, make big differences.

My mum has just got a Econetic and has used 50% of the full tank of fuel and it still has 236 miles til empty... On fill up, it said it could do 414 miles... Now with 50% of fuel left you expect it to be less than 200 miles left, so that's looking positive...

It was meant to be my car, but dad has ordered me a Titanium instead! HEHE

lemotan

Post by lemotan »

Fiesta has a low consumption as far as you don't use your AC or don't try to go faster then 120 km/h
I did 6.5-6.7 ltr/100 km (43MPG) for 1.4 benzine and AT i consider reasonable.
As for the diesel it should be a good weather (15-20C) no wind, no hills, no AC, wheel alignment and pressure perfect gear change ideal and then I am sure u can manage 4 ltr/100 km (70 MPG)