Stiff/sticky gear change

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Fez_zs
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: fiesta zetec s
Refferer: google

Stiff/sticky gear change

Post by Fez_zs »

Hi all i have a fiesta mk7 zs i am experiencing a sticky and stiff gear change most of the time in all gears what could this be down to as i cannot find a reason.

{text-align: center;}
jam_rs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drives: Fiesta XR2i 2.3 Turbo
Refferer: Me! Im the Boss!

Re: Stiff/sticky gear change

Post by jam_rs »

What sort of mileage has the car done?

Also would you describe it as hard to go into gear.
http://www.stevecookedjservices.co.uk - Mobile DJ Services- Herts & Essex
http://www.fiestamk7.com - A UK Based Forum Dedicated To The Fiesta Mk7

Fez_zs
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: fiesta zetec s

Post by Fez_zs »

40tho and it just feels stiff it's not the clutch have that upgraded

bjb2306
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Ford Fiesta Mk7
Refferer: Google

Post by bjb2306 »

How long have you had the car?

In my experience the Fiesta has a very stiff gearbox.

Hotrodder
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Fiesta mk7 2012 studio
Refferer: Search Engine

Post by Hotrodder »

Our 2012 studio has had a crap gear change from new. Ford said it would improve with mileage.
It didn't.
Ford now says it can't find anything wrong with it...it's still stiff...the new fiesta loan car we were given for the day had covered under a thousand miles and was even worse than ours! Just a bad design it would seem.
Ours has now done 13,000 miles and I won't be replacing it with another ford!

m0h08
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: zetec 1.25

Post by m0h08 »

Jack the car up and under the front left there will be a plastic cover. Unclip all the surrounding clips and you will see the other end of the gear cables, apply some copper grease on them, job done. You can get the copper grease from halfords

19fiesta94
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Fiesta
Refferer: Google

Post by 19fiesta94 »

Hi got the same problem my mk7 fiesta ZS wasn't going into reverse or first gear it was if it was stuck it wouldn't go into gear atall was driving home tonight when I went to put car in reverse it went in and just starterd shuddering dramatically I then tried to put into first gear it went in and I went to pull away and it just started shudderin really badly. help please????

puglett69
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: ford fiesta 1.25 zetec
Refferer: search engine

Post by puglett69 »

I went thru a puddle last week and I noticed changing gear was harder. It was like a resistance, but they went into gear. I called AA and the gentleman said he agreed the fear change was stiff, he applied wD40 first of all. It loosened my gears up and I said that one of the post suggested Copper gease. He applied as well and now gears moving fine. Thank you for the advise :-) :D

anniemc
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: FIesta mk7

Post by anniemc »

I have put copper grease on the cables under the car and even took it two garages and they say nothing wrong. I went back to the second one lunch time and an ex Ford mechanic was there. He has said I have to bring the car in first thing in the morning, while the engine is hot. They then have to put it on the ramps and take the front cover off the bottom of the car. when someone is in the car they have to take the cables off and she which bush is causing the problem. Then put warm oil over and under the bush and this should stop the problem. He thinks it is the bush has dried out and when the engine is hot that is causing it to clamp onto the rods.

The side to side and reverse is find, just go up and down, it isn't too stiff cant get them into gear. I just want to preserve my gear box and clutch. I will be honest I haven't change the clutch or gear box oil since I have had the car, so maybe they should do that as well.