2009 Titanium - Automatic Mirror Whine

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Glen85
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Fiesta Mk5/Mk7
Refferer: Google search

2009 Titanium - Automatic Mirror Whine

Post by Glen85 »

Hi folks,

I'm about to buy a 2009 3-door Titanium and I noticed, upon viewing the car, that the mirrors continue to whine once they're folded and do so for a couple of seconds after they've stopped moving. It sounds like the motors are straining. Should I investigate this, or is it a 'normal' sound to hear? If it's not, please be aware that I've never had a car with electronically folding mirrors, so I wouldn't know what I was doing with them.

Many thanks,

Glen.

{text-align: center;}
CarlW
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Titanium TDCi
Refferer: Google

Re: 2009 Titanium - Automatic Mirror Whine

Post by CarlW »

I have a 2012 Titanium and the mirrors whine for a few seconds after they fold. Don't recall them doing it when new but been doing it for a while and still working fine

Glen85
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)

Post by Glen85 »

Hmm, ok cheers!

Glen85
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)

Post by Glen85 »

Hi again,

I've examined this and the mirror casing is ramming up against the sil of the window when it folds, so it definitely seems like a fault to me. It has scuffed the chrome trim on the sil and appears to be straining the motor. Can anyone advise, please?

Cheers,

Glen.

Bits-left-over
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: JA8 5dr 1.6TDCi Titanium
Refferer: Search Engine

Post by Bits-left-over »

Hello. I realise this is an old post but I have exactly the same issue - motor runs for a second or so after the mirrors have stopped moving & both mirrors rub against the chrome sills. If you fixed this, could you please let me know what you did? Is there any way to repair the scuff marks on the sills?

Thanks,
Paul
I’m smart enough to know I'm thick.

Bits-left-over
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: JA8 5dr 1.6TDCi Titanium
Refferer: Search Engine

Post by Bits-left-over »

While trying to fix a power fold issue, I removed the mirror from the door. Holding the mirror glass housing in my hand, I made power fold motor work. The motor sounded less strained since it wasn't under much load but still seemed to run for a second after the mirror & mounting stopped at their rotation limits (both directions).

As far as the mirror rubbing off the window trim, I refitted the mirror & it now doesn't rub against the trim. The mirror must've been removed at some point & put back on badly. To be fair, the mirror does have a bit of play even when the location lugs are in place. If you hold the mirror up & rotate the top of the mirror towards the front while tightening the 13mm nut, it'll be in the right position. The mirror now has about 2-3mm of clearance from the window trim when folded.
I’m smart enough to know I'm thick.