Bad economy

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
woot woot
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Fiesta mk 7
Refferer: Google

Bad economy

Post by woot woot »

Hi,
My gf has a 2010 wt 1.4 petrol and it seems that is uses heaps of petrol. I have a corsa b and i manage to get 600kms to a tank which is 45L and the fiesta has a 43L from what i have found. She only gets max 450-470kms from the tank and i find that just rubbish. She does mostly freeway driving and i still cannot figure out why it is so low.
I have checked tyre pressures and still found no improvement.

It is coming up to its 100km service and want to know if there is any sensors i can clean or if i can reset the ecu to try make it better?
I was going to try use to fuel injector cleaner in case they were clogged up and do a ecu reset.
I was under the impression that to reset the ecu i would have to disconnect the battery for 20mins and it will reset. Will it cause any issues with the security system in the car? Such as the stereo or anything?
It just seems to be using so much more than it should be

Any helps is appreciated.
Cheers
Jo

{text-align: center;}
superfalcons05
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: fiesta
Refferer: google

Re: Bad economy

Post by superfalcons05 »

Honestly I would just sell the car. Some one will buy it for parts, but it is not fun to be with a car that causes you problems all the time

Adam_D
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)

Post by Adam_D »

I think it's the nature of the engine, I have changed the air filter, spark plugs and leads on our 2009 1.4 petrol and it seems to drink fuel considering its power, especially when air con is running. It needs revs to make up for a lack of torque and that seems to hurt the economy.

In similar use around town I had 35mpg on the fiesta and 26mpg on a 3.2 litre Z4M.

DocFubar
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Ford Fiesta
Refferer: Google

Post by DocFubar »

To be brutally honest, most economy problems come down to driving technique. A heavy right foot, trying to beat everybody off the lights, it all adds up and slices a huge chunk off the economy. The main air filter is more often the cause of mechanical woes that ruin economy, it's not likely to be the injectors or you'd be getting misfiring and the emissions would be smelly.
As it's yer GFs car, bringing up the subject of her driving technique might prove to be a bloody sight more difficult and expensive than a full on service. Get someone else to suggest it like a person you don't need as a friend much longer, rather than risk her putting you in hospital for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Adam_D
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)

Post by Adam_D »

It's certainly not going to win a traffic light gp ;) I've been driving it a bit more lately and reckon 270-280 miles will be possible on this tankful. I have noted it feels burdened when the a/c is on (quite a bit now it's colder out to keep the windows clear). :)