Brake Pedal Travel

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
DocFubar
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Ford Fiesta
Refferer: Google

Brake Pedal Travel

Post by DocFubar »

I've had this problem for a while since I bought my Mk7 1.2. The brake pedal seems to travel a heck of a long way giving me what appears to be 'progressive braking'. Yes it stops but at times on country roads it would be nice to know I'm not going to hit the tractor that just hurtled out in front of me! :o
I've spoken to the garage I take it to for MOT and they have had several Fiestas with exactly the same issue. Haynes manual actually seems to think this is normal but I'm not so sure. Things I've tried are;
Bleeding the entire system.
Flush the system and replace with new fluid.
New front discs.
New rear shoes with copper-ease on the adjusters.
It improves for a little bit but then settles back to scary mode and the only place this thing leaves skid-marks is my underwear! :oops:
Anyone else had this? Anyone know of a fix? Fit a Focus master cylinder was one suggestion but would this work?

{text-align: center;}
jam_rs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drives: Fiesta XR2i 2.3 Turbo
Refferer: Me! Im the Boss!

Re: Brake Pedal Travel

Post by jam_rs »

I would compare to another Fiesta. If you feel that its not quite right, i suppose the next step in diagnosing it is to fit a new master cylinder and see if that makes any difference, it may be leaking back internally.

Sometimes you've just got to try it and see!

Also, did you change the pads when discs replaced?
http://www.stevecookedjservices.co.uk - Mobile DJ Services- Herts & Essex
http://www.fiestamk7.com - A UK Based Forum Dedicated To The Fiesta Mk7