Gear Knob

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Roger
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: 2009 Fiesta TDCi ecoNetic
Refferer: Google

Gear Knob

Post by Roger »

I'm trying to get the replace the gear knob with an aftermarket knob. I can screw the knob off the gear stick and get the gaiter out, but the knob seems to be attached to the gear knob by some sort of securing ring.

How do I seperate the gaiter from the knob so I can replace it?
Attachments
There does not seem to be a way to seperate the knob from the gaiter
There does not seem to be a way to seperate the knob from the gaiter
DSC_0004sm.JPG (205.25 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
Gaiter and gear knob came out as one unit
Gaiter and gear knob came out as one unit
DSC_0006.JPG (162.54 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
Gaiter turned inside out
Gaiter turned inside out
DSC_0003sm.JPG (193.08 KiB) Viewed 5265 times

{text-align: center;}
arathorn
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiesta Zetec 1.25 MK7
Refferer: none

Re: Gear Knob

Post by arathorn »

Looks like you bend the small tab on the gaiter outwards so the base of the gear stick knob will pull past it. It also looks like you have to gently prize each quarter of the gaiter over the lip of the gear stick knob. Going by your pictures, but it should not be hard to prove whether I'm right or wrong without breaking anything.

Nath
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Drives: Fiesta MK7 Zetec-S TDCi

Post by Nath »

I destroyed the ring when replacing mine, lucky the illuminated one I was installing had one spare :p

Roger
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: 2009 Fiesta TDCi ecoNetic
Refferer: Google

Post by Roger »

I thought it would be something like that, a tab or a screw or something. Everything else I have pulled apart on the Fiesta has a tab or a clip or something logical which allows you to disassemble it.

The small tab you see attached to the gaiter is just a flimsy piece of plastic. It won't allow me to pull the knob out of the gaiter. The ring at the bottom of the gear knob is bigger than the ring attached to the gaiter.